Gear Care & Repair
How to Waterproof a Jacket
Waterproofing a ski jacket, raincoat, or windbreaker is simple. When you have a durable water repellent (DWR) formula, you only need to re-proof jackets made of nylon, down, polyester, and fleece once during the season. Whether you are going out on a snowy hike, on a wet bike commute, or a rainy dog walk, Revivex water repellents will keep you warm and dry. All our formulas are easy to use at home and give you factory-level performance. Read on to learn how to waterproof a jacket and other outerwear by following these basic steps.
Wash & Waterproof
Over time, dirt and oils attract water on the surface of your well-worn jacket or coat. This can break down existing DWR treatment, causing your jacket to "wet-out." It’s important to pre-wash and clean jackets with a specialized, gentle detergent like Revivex Pro Cleaner prior to waterproof treatment. Once clean, simply choose the most convenient waterproofing formula and application for you.
- Revivex Pro Cleaner or Down Cleaner
- Revivex Wash-In Water Repellent or Durable Water Repellent
- Washing Machine or Sink/Bucket
- Machine Dryer
Estimated Time: Wash: 30 minutes | Machine Dry: 30-60 minutes
Revivex Wash-In is ideal for re-proofing hard-shell jackets, windbreakers, and pants that do not have insulation or an interior lining. This concentrated water repellent is a fluorine-free formula that can also treat multiple waterproof-breathable items at once.
- Select delicate cycle and warm water on washing machine.
- Add 0.5 fl oz / 30 ml (1 capful) per garment of Revivex Pro Cleaner. If using a top loader, double the dosage.
- Add 1 fl oz / 30 ml (2 capfuls) per garment of Revivex Wash-In Water Repellent to the fabric softener dispenser or in the final rinse.
- Start cycle.
- Tumble dry for 60 minutes on medium heat for maximum effectiveness.
Apply Revivex Durable directly on the exterior of the garment and let it dry. This water repellent spray is PFOA-free and repels water, dirt, and oils the longest. It is deal for use on GORE-TEX garments and nylon hard-shells, soft-shells, down jackets, pants, and gloves.
- Clean jacket with Pro Cleaner or Down Cleaner as noted in the Wash-In instructions above.
- Hang wet or dry jacket on hanger. Shake can well.
- Spray 5”-10” from jacket in well-ventilated area. Apply liberally on high-wear areas like shoulders and cuffs.
- Check manufacturer’s care instructions before machine drying. Dry on medium heat for 30 minutes for maximum effectiveness.
PRO TIP: For down jackets, vests, sleeping bags, and even comforters, use Revivex Down Cleaner to wash away dirt and grime without damaging the feathers.
Whether your synthetic jacket is made of nylon, down, polyester, fleece, eVent®, NeoShell®, or GORE-TEX® fabric, Revivex water repellents keep it performing so you don’t get cold and wet. And if you ever hit a snag and get rips and tears, just read our blog article on how to repair a down or nylon jacket with our Tenacious Tape patches.